Thursday, April 26, 2012

Social Media Overload

Wow, it has been a tiring semester.  My apologies of not keeping up with this blog.  I've had a lot of life changes happen.  My husband and I moved in with my in-laws, then just I set up fieldwork and practicum work in their area he got a 6 month job 12 hours away.  We're leaving tomorrow to set him up there, but I will be returning to PA and my in-laws place.  Taking the three classes I've been taking this semester has been hard too.  One about project planning, one about school library management, and one about lesson planning and organizing a classroom.  I've learned a lot, but I am glad it's almost over now.

Lately with all my overstress going off I've come to think about social media and web technologies.  Ever since I entered library school I've added and tried out so many I can't even keep track of them.  It's a bit overwhelming at times.  So my question is, how do you pick and choose?

I guess it is mostly preference based, however there are some clear technological winners either with ease of use or options.  For instance, I like Hootsuit much better than Tweetdeck.  But how many social media tools does one need?  I have a Google+, Facebook, and LinkedIn account.  Do I check them everyday?  No.  I simply can't.  I only check Facebook everyday because most of my friends and colleagues frequent it.  But then there are the few who use the others, which technical wise I like much better.  What's one to do?

Here is my plea to program designers:

Please, PLEASE create something that can integrate any number social media outlets into ONE location.  No options to pick the more popular ones, just something that can incorporate anything and everything.  Wouldn't it be absolutely fantastic if we could do this?  I know it would take a lot of stress off my back. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment