Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Inspiration?

Class 511 - Introduction to Library and Information Professions

I am frequently inspired by many things.  My bad movie collection for instance, (and I mean, BAD, not so bad it's good but...just terrible) I keep because of certain lines, or underlying plot elements that stick in my mind long enough for me to obsess over it until I figure out why I like it so much.  They are my reminders, and for the most part, where I get material for my writing.  Same goes for certain books, and video games.  

But what inspires me to move forward?  Thinking back to my terrible bagel job what inspired me to go for something better?  I was unhappy at the time, and I do believe that that was a really good push but I doubt it was the whole reason.  I knew I could do better.  I felt I could do better, and I knew that if I wasn't going to be intellectually challenged for the rest of my life I would go insane.

I took Latin for 6 years.  I barely remember the more complicated stuff but I always liked to mention it at the bagel shop to professors who clearly were involved in ancient history.  Most of the time they would begin to spout Latin at me and I would sit there and try to figure it out.  One day a professor, who mentioned I looked quite unhappy,  came back with his favorite Latin quote on a piece of paper:

"forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit."

"Perhaps one day it will help us to remember these things."
(Perhaps one day we will look back at this and laugh)

-Aeneas in a pep talk to his men

Written just like that.  I have that piece of paper taped to my desktop tower on my desk.  My husband constantly tells me, it wont be like this forever.  Things will get better.  But when I look at this quote, I really believe it.

It's not all that inspires me.  But it really really helps.

2 comments:

Matthew Gunby
Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I just had to let you know that I am absolutely adding that quote to my list of random stolen quotes. Of course it would be nice if I had a really interesting story attached to it, but c'est la vie.

A.A.Van Fleet
Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's a really good quote! I've no problem with you stealing it!

Post a Comment