Sunday, July 17, 2011

The First of Many

I resisted at first.  My father in law dropped hints and made subtle suggestions for a whole year before I finally decided to make the decision.  I was being stubborn since if I became a librarian my husband and I would become exactly like his own parents, only the genders reversed.  See, his mother was a biochemistry major in her undergrad, just like my husband.  She found she did not enjoy grad school and opted to not attend, but my husband decided to go all out and earn a PhD in Entomology.  My father-in-law was an English major, geography minor.  He decided working for a university as a science librarian would be a perfect fit.  Now I am going for School Media.

See?  History repeats itself in new ways.

But I couldn't let a little thing like that get in the way of a potentially life changing career.  My goal in life, the reason why I decided to be a Creative Writing Major in college, it remained the same.  I wanted to give kids the feeling I had when I opened a book at their age.  I wanted them to dream and imagine and get lost in the words and the images.  I realized, there is only so much I can do with writing a book.  If I was a librarian, I would have so much more.

I cannot emphasize how perfect the LIS School Media program looked to me.  It was the same feeling I had as I ogled at Ithaca College's writing program.  It felt right, and as I began to take classes I realized it was right. 

I know this probably sounds quite sappy but you have to understand before this I was stuck at a horrible job at a bagel shop.  They had me there 60 hours a week, moving non stop, and calling me in to work on my days off at a constant basis.  Oven burns and bagel knife cuts were common and not even thought of as important.  Regulars expected special treatment no matter how busy you were and became very rude and angry when they didn't get it.  What was supposed to be an 8 hour shift was always lengthened to 10.  When the managers started treating me like I was going to be there for the rest of my life, I panicked and quit.  It was one of the best days of my life.

I prepared to apply to SU and take the GRE's.  Through a friend I managed to get a job with Borders, which was like retail heaven on earth compared to the bagel hell I had been in previously.  I had initially planned on working there part-time while in school, but unfortunately they closed the store.  Bad news: I lost my job.  Good news: I found out I had been accepted into SU.  Instead of going out and finding another job I could do part-time my husband told me to just concentrate on school (and potentially graduating early).  He didn't have to tell me twice.

So here I am.  My life is on track and I am closer to achieving my personal goals than ever before.  Now I will blog about the things I have learned from each of my classes.  I hope you will all enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment